Plenty of parents put off traveling because they believe that traveling with kids is too hard. Sometimes that’s true, but traveling with kids isn’t impossible. Plenty of parents expose their kids to different places and cultures while traveling. Before you buy the plane tickets to Kathmandu you need to do some prep work first. Traveling goes much more smoothly when you’re prepared.
Here are 6 tips for traveling with kids
- Before you travel get your children involved in the planning process. Let them try food from that country first, teach them some of the customs. You can also learn a phrase or two of the language there. You can show your children pictures or videos of where you will be going. All of this will help get them excited about the trip first. If they are familiar with some of the customs and food ahead of time the trip will seem less frightening.
- Get all of your documents together. This includes passports, birth certificates and proof of vaccinations or anything else you will need to enter the country. Keep copies for backups just in case, put them in a Ziploc bag so they stay dry. If you need specific vaccines to enter the country get them well in advance.
- Try shorter trips first. Get your child used to the idea of traveling before you need to spend 12 hours on a plane and 6 hours killing time in an airport. Traveling rarely works out the way you plan, so get your children used to the idea first. You can work your way up to overseas trips. Some children handle the trip perfectly fine as young as 5 while others are near teenagers before they can handle long distance travel.
- Be prepared for emergencies. Put together a small first aid kit that includes Band-Aids, Gravol and some Pepto Bismol, just in case. Protect yourself against the Zika infested mosquitoes all naturally with this product. They will have to go into your checked luggage but you will have them when you get there. Pack some toys for them to amuse themselves on the plane and a few snacks wouldn’t hurt either.
- As much as you’d love to see the Louvre in Paris, include some kid friendly trips too. Visit a children’s museum or a local playground. Take into consideration things your children will find fun too. Traveling can be exhausting so take breaks when you need to, ensure that everybody has a good time kids and grown ups alike.
- Be wary of staying at any place that is in the middle of construction. Make sure to call ahead to your booked lodging location to check. It can be loud and noisy — disrupting your relaxing time significantly. It can also be a safety concern. Some old buildings still have the cancer-causing asbestos in them!